Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How Time Flies!!!

Wow!  Has is really been just over 2 weeks since I have posted.  I can't believe how fast time flies!!!  It seems like summer just started and now it's time to start thinking about school, lesson plans, football, hockey, homework...and the list goes on.  The kids are growing up SO fast!  Aidan will be 4 in September which means kindergarten next year, Ryan is headed for his new middle school in NYC this fall, Carson hits 7th grade and has started playing hockey, and Mitch....my goodness where did that time go???  Mitch is already  for 9th grade, playing freshman football, and will be able to start driver's training next summer!!!! Holy cow. 

With all of these growing boys it looks like I'm going to have to start stocking up on the fantastic foods  I have been cooking this summer. My garden was a huge success this summer.  So much so that we have decided next summer it will be bigger.  So exciting!  I have been getting so many delicious tomatoes, spicy peppers, and aromatic herbs I just don't want summer to end.  So, in order to enjoy them all winter, I purchased a dehydrator.  I have used this on my herbs, chili peppers, and tomatoes.  I will have my own home-made "sun" dried tomatoes this winter which is a great money saver.  Those of  you who have ever purchased them know they can be pricey.

I have continued to try new recipes with the family and sometimes just for myself.  I have made soups that I put in freezer containers to use this winter for lunches.  I am in the process of making a list of dinner foods that I am going to preassemble and freeze to cut down on the time it takes for me to make dinner.  Also, I am continuing to find new exciting ways to be creative with our food but still make it enjoyable enough that I don't get too many complaints.  An example of this was last night's salad at dinner.  I wanted to make a more exciting Caesar salad, but I know certain boys are not fond of certain things so I broke it down into individual containers so everyone could make their own and it was a big hit.  This is what I put in it:

1 head of lettuce
1 rotisserie chicken (from the local super market deli)
croutons
almonds
Parmesan cheese
Caesar dressing

I would have preferred to mix all of the ingredients in one bowl and serve it up, but with one not liking nuts, one not liking creamy dressing, and so on, it was easier to have it separated.  I suggested if you don't have picky eaters throw it in a bowl and call is a success!!

Another great recipe I made this summer (and I made for my lunches) was chicken tortilla soup.  Oh my, how delicious.  This recipe make a big batch of soup so you may want to scale down the portions.  Also, because I decided to freeze it I did not add the chicken.  I will make the chicken later or use leftovers when I use it for my lunch.  (Oh!!  I will let you know how it turns out after being frozen...hopefully just as delicious)

1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. chicken base
1 medium diced yellow onion
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 c. Masa Harina
4 quarts of water (1 quart is 4 cups)
2 c. crushed tomatoes
1/2 - 3/4 lb. velvetta cubed
3 lbs cubed cooked chicken breast
shredded cheese
tortilla strips
pico de gallo
sour cream

In a lg. pot combine oil, onion,chicken base, and spices.  Saute until onions are soft and clear.

In a bowl combine the Masa Harina with 1 quart of water.  Stir until lumps dissolve

Add Masa Harina "rue" to onions and bring to a boil.  Once boiling cook 2-3 minutes stirring constantly

Add tomatoes and 3 quarts of water.  Bring to a boil and stir occasionally

Add cheese.  Cook until cheese melts

Put chicken in the bottom of a bowl.  Add soup.  Garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, pico de gallo, and sour cream.


When I made this soup before I served it, I used a slotted spoon to get the "chunks" (as Rob calls them) out.  That would be the onion and some of the tomato.  But that was to suit his texture needs :)  You don't have to do anything with it if you don't want to.  Personal preference.

Again, sorry, no photo this time.  I will have to get better about that :) I hope you have a wonderful day, love with all your heart, live your life to the fullest, be positive (with yourself and others), and make sure to smile at someone you do not know....they may need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment