Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas Break

So, this Christmas break was filled with family, friends, and fun.  Everyone is healthy, happy and doing well which is always a plus!!  I have been so busy with the school year and the kids I haven't been able to post in quite sometime so I better make this one good :)

Just after Christmas, Rob and I joined a gym and, yes, we are still sticking to our guns and finding time to make it there.  (I went 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday, yay me!!)  Since we took the big step I have been trying to find alternatives to some of our favorite meals.  Adding turkey to chili, definitely a yummy choice. Making chicken tacos instead of beef.  While doing these slight changes I have found a few great recipes I wanted to share.  Last week when I made chicken tacos, I ran out of tortilla shells (I prefer soft tacos to hard) so I decided I would make chicken taco lettuce wraps and they were delicious.  I just stuffed a leaf of lettuce full of my favorite taco fixings and I had a lettuce wrap. 

After the chicken taco lettuce wrap went so well I decided I needed to find an alternate to my pizza habit.  If you know me I am a sucker for excellent pizza.  Pizza is my go to food.  I've even started to make my own wheat crust and my own marinara sauce for it.  I haven't quite tried making my own cheese yet :)  Well, I was looking through a Biggest Loser Book that I recently purchased and 2 recipes popped out at me so I had to try them and I served them at last week's "Miller Happy Hour".  They were a huge hit!  I tweaked them a bit and here are the recipes:

The first recipe is called "Pesto Pizzettas"

1 tube (24 oz) precooked, ready-to-heat polenta, cut into1/2" slices
        (I could not find the precooked so I made my own)
1/4 cup marinara sauce (low fat if you please)
2 Tbsp Basil pesto  (You can make your own or use bottled pesto)
         I used 2 different types of pesto from Tastefully Simple and they worked out wonderfully
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (low or reduced fat if you like)
Fresh basil

Preheat oven to 400* F

Spray the polenta slices lightly with olive oil cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.  Bake the polenta for 8 minutes ON EACH SIDE.  Top each baked polenta with marinara sauce, pesto and cheese.  Broil or bake for about 3 minutes or just until the cheese is bubbly and yummy.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs.

***Variations:  add a strip of roasted bell pepper, artichoke hearts thinly sliced, etc.

These are only 80 calories per serving!!!

The next recipe I decided to try kind of scared me a bit.  I have never had portobello mushrooms and they are quite big.  However, I do like mushrooms so I took the chance and I am SO glad that I did!!  These were a HUGE hit!!!

Portobello "Pizzas"

4 whole portobello mushroom caps (5" in diameter), stems removed
1/2 c. marinara sauce
1/2  c. lean turkey sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
Shredded Mozzarella  (fat-free or low-fat if you like)
Parmesan cheese
fresh basil

Preheat oven to 350* F

Rinse and wipe mushrooms clean of any dirt.  Place them on a baking sheet gill side up.  Spoon sauce over each cap, then sprinkle on the sausage and cheeses.  Place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Garnish with fresh basil.

***One portobello mushroom has as much potassium as a banana.
97 calories per serving.

These are some great substitutes for ordinary pizza and they are healthy for you!!!  Next I am going to make fish tacos and once I've had them, I will make sure to post the recipe :0)

Sorry, I forgot to take photos of my creations.  I will try to remember to do that and post them soon.  I hope everyone has a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!!!  I hope you have a wonderful day, love with all your heart, live your life to the fullest, be positive (with yourself and others), and make sure to smile at someone you do not know....they may need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment