Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fresh Fall Veggies

This is going to be short and sweet!!!  I LOVE fall veggies fresh from the garden and I planted a little garden with tomatoes, basil, rosemary, mint, different kinds of hot peppers, etc.  I have had a little abundance of my lovely veggies but not nearly enough to can or make much with...it doesn't help that I eat the tomatoes as fast as they grow....so when a friend/co-worker said she had an abundance of tomatoes of course I jumped at it.  I got them today and as soon as I got home I made Tomato-Tortilla Soup.  OOOOOHHHHH my was it good.  I thought it would be a great recipe to pass along.... don't be afraid to be creative and original and change it to your way.

Corn tortillas (you can find them in the salad section as a topping)
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp dried oregano
4 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs. tomatoes, diced with juice
1/4 c reduced fat sour cream
2 tbsp fresh cilantro


Heat  canola oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent.  Add garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and oregano.  Cook for 1 minute.  Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil.   Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Remove pan from the heat and puree with an immersion blender or in 2 batches in a regular blender until soup lightens in color...about 30 seconds.  Serve the soup topped with tortillas, sour cream and cilantro.

You can add grilled chicken breast slices.
You can add lime juice.

I added a bit of chipotle powder and pepper for heat.


135 calories in 1 cup of soup (without chicken)
10 g. of fat

Great source of Vitamin A and C, as well as Fiber, Niacin, Phosphorus, Iron, Vitamin K, and Protein

If you make it let me know what you think and if or how you changed it!!!

I hope you enjoy it.  And remember have a wonderful day, love with all your heart, live your life to the fullest, be positive (with yourself and others), and make sure to smile at someone you do not know...they may need it.

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment